Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Big Bed time

Before Olivia was born we tried moving Austin into the trundle bed that Eric had made for him. No luck. He thought it was so great to have play time in each of their beds. One night I thought for sure after two hours of in and out of his bed and his siblings that he would be asleep. I called Eric to come upstairs with me and look at what I assumed would be our little guy asleep. Well, we found him in A bed, but it was not his own, and he was not asleep. He was in Madeleine's bed (keep in mind this is at 10pm) rearranging her stuffed animals. A few more tries and we decided to hold off until after Olivia arrived.
We have four bedrooms but one is down two flights of stairs in the basement and the kids are not at all willing to be in that room....and I understand at their age. Nor do I like the thought of what would happen if they were to get sick and try to make it to our room leaving bits and pieces of their sickness along the way. It is nice to have us all on the same level; but, that means that Madeleine, Justin and Austin must all share a room as Olivia needs her own.
Last Monday I asked Austin if he wanted to nap in his "big bed" and he said yes. I didn't say anything about staying in the bed or warning him not to get out. I thought I would just see what would happen. Well, three hours later I had to wake him up and he was so proud of himself sleeping in his new big bed. I thought, "This is it. He is old enough and we need to just do it." Having Olivia in our room in the beginning was nice for all of the frequent night feedings, but now that she is sleeping through the night there have been more drawbacks to having her there as I am not able to put laundry away, read at night, or talk to Eric in anything but hushed tones etc. So, that night he slept in his own bed. No getting out or bothering Justin and Madeleine. Yeah!
Well, I wish I could say, "And that was that, they are just all sleeping perfectly together." With the switch to the new bed Austin has begun to wake up two hours earlier (now 6am instead of 8am) and of course it is no fun to be up without company, so yes, he wakes both Madeleine and Justin up. I wasn't too concerned as I was still so impressed that this minor inconvienence was all I was dealing with...until two nights ago. Austin was determined to stay up and stay up he did...in and out of Madeleine's bed until finally I had to lay down the law (this means a severe tone and veiled threats). Then at
3am this morning I hear a thud, bounce, rattle rattle and I am thinking who is downstairs and what is going on? (Eric is gone for 3 days) I head downstairs to find Madeleine holding a water bottle and Austin a green cup filling them with water. Ok, so not what I expected but I was ok with it as long as they went right back up to bed. That was not to happen. For the next 45 minutes I was in and out of bed trying to convince Austin to stay in his bed and leave Madeleine alone. Finally I had him come into my bed, which I am not accustomed to, and finally at 5am he went to sleep.
The story doesn't end here. I was quite tired this morning but knew I had to get going. So I sent Austin downstairs and jumped in the shower. I had 20min. before Sarah would be here to help clean. As I exited the shower I heard a crash and Madeleine telling Austin not to move. I rushed downstairs towel and all to find Austin on the counter with broken glass at his feet, and everywhere else. You know how that is with glass, it is hard to feel like you've ever gotten it all. This must have been quite the sight. We made it through without anyone stepping on any and Sarah ended up being 15 min. late which gave me time to clean everything and get dressed. I will be going to bed early tonight because who really knows what the night will bring.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Oh Leslie! I am so sorry! What a long night! I hope it gets better. I love your scripture quizzing idea. That's such a fun idea! We'll have to try that out!

Corrina Baker said...

Yick. Doesn't sound good. Hope you get a better sleep.