Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Prayer Time

We have instituted singing a song before prayer each night and it usually does not stop with one. Justin's request is always the same, "Do as I'm Doing". As most of you know this is an active get-up-and-move kind of song, not the kind I am wanting to do before bed. Tonight, after we sang our song, Justin began the prayer but quickly stopped and looked at me with a smile and said, "I was just about to sing the prayer," giggled and started again.
Our children's prayers have been evolving (ok, so deteriorating might be more appropriate in my mind), but changing none the less. Much of a prayer addresses the "goings-on" at that moment. Let me give you an example of tonight's, Justin said, "...and please help Austin to bow his head and keep his hands to himself" Often you hear, "Please help (insert name(s)) to sit still, close their eyes and be more reverent" I find that the prayer has barely begun when this starts and then instead of the usual "grateful for" parts the prayer ends. So you can see why this kind of change is not exactly what I had hoped for in regards to their prayers. Hopefully their personal prayers are a bit more meaningful.
Each Sunday we do what we call "Scripture Challenge." Eric, or I, will read some verses from the scriptures and then quiz the kids. Well I know that doesn't sound too exciting so let me finish painting the picture. While we are on the couch the kids are sitting across from us (usually on stools), cups in hand, and eyeing the marshmallows or other goody that is sitting on our laps. After the verses are read the kids each get several turns to answer the questions correctly. If they do get one correct we toss a treat and they try to catch it in their cup. This has become such a fun tradition and it is amazing how attentive the kids can become when treats are on the line.

4 comments:

Nancy said...

Leslie, I am totally going to steal your scripture game. How cute. And, you are not alone in the self righteous prayer business. My kids love to pray that their siblings can overcome their faults. Sigh. Kids.

Unknown said...

Leslie....great job narrating! You totally had me laughing with the prayers. You're braver than I am. I lead the prayers. I am scared with my 2 and 4 year old would say!! :) Your children are beautiful!!

Ben said...

I loved reading this post! Our kids do the same exact thing during prayers. I think they got it from us...oops. I wish we had never prayed for anyone to bow their head and close their eyes. I do love you scripture chase idea--we may have to try that, too. I forgot to sign out of Ben's account. This is from Kelsey

Todd said...

Don't feel too bad about your kids' prayers "evolving". Our kids will say very similar things in their prayers too about their siblings not folding their arms and not closing their eyes . . . I've always found it ironic that you have to have your eyes open to notice that somebody else has theirs open. Your kids are adorable!