Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Never too Old

Yesterday at 3:55 Madeleine and I said goodbye to the boys and Makayla (our sitter) and headed down the road. It would be MY FIRST PIANO lesson with Madeleine's teacher, Arlene. Madeleine has been counting down for two weeks. On the way to piano Madeleine was so sweet to offer me her piano books to practice with; I let her know that I would have my own Adult beginner books. She said that I could use her piano back pack to keep track of my books. She continued, "You know Mom, now that you will be taking lessons we will have to schedule practice time for you." So cute!!
Well, I was to go first, and though I suggested that Madeleine could read or do homework she said she just wanted to watch and listen to me....which is exactly what she did. I could feel her eyes glued to me:) Arlene is so kind and I feel very comfortable with her. I took one year of piano when I was 6 0r 7 years old and did not like it at all. I protested so much that my parents, to my utter disbelief, allowed me to quit (all the other kids had to take 5 yrs). I am so glad they listened to me because I remember disliking my teacher and practicing so much. Having said that, since I have grown I have wanted to play and I have decided that it is NEVER TOO LATE to learn something new.
About 6 years ago, when we lived in Vancouver, I decided that I wanted to learn how to make pottery and I didn't care that I had always thought that I didn't have a creative bone in my body. Desire counts for a lot! I loved it and no I was not the quickest learner in the bunch but I made steady improvements and absolutely loved the feeling of creating something with my hands. So, I have adopted the attitude that though something might not come naturally it does not mean that I can't become good at it and in so doing develop new and hopefully useful and enjoyable talents. Here are some things I have learned in the past 6 years:
-pottery -knitting -sewing -quilting (still in the process) -scrapbooking -cooking (lots of new recipes) -bread making -bow making -canning (peaches) -making freezer jam -piano (just beginning) -My friend Marla has taught me how to make a delicious salsa that I can and I shucked and cut off the kernels of corn from the local farms so we have fresh corn to eat year round.
On the physical side of things I have: began to run consistently and entered some races! I have become a bike rider, not a cyclist) and love our rides.
I am so happy with my progress and really do believe that if we have a desire to try something new and keep realistic expectations of ourselves there is a whole new world of wonderful talents to develop and share with our family and kids. I am so excited to begin piano! I hope to become a painter too...but that will have to be another day!

No comments: