Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Special Persons at MMH

 Yesterday at 7:15am I ask Justin to find his school agenda as I couldn't find it the night before. He checks his backpack and comes back with a pink slip of paper, folded and taped, with Eric and I's name on it. Justin wants me to read it right away. So I open it up and start to read. Justin is to be recognized as a special person in an assembly at 8:30 on February 1st. Ok, that would be today in about an hour.  I quickly shower and organize my morning (8:30 assembly, 9:30 YMCA gym time with the Orr's *bring snacks, come home and make lunch, go pick up the kids 11:30- bring them home for a quick lunch, brush and floss and get them to the dentist at noon. Am I cutting this too close?
  When I arrived at the school we, Austin and Olivia and I, found 1 seat left. I sat down. Olivia decided she would rather run and yell...right up Austin's alley. I am looking around at the 50 young kids and parents there and they are all sitting quietly. Mine are the only 2 up and running.  I don't worry about it as the assembly wasn't going to start yet.  I try to get them to sit still and Olivia does that arch back and slide out of your arms while whining and yelling trick, so let her go again.
  When the classes come in Madeleine's teacher runs up to me and says she is so glad I am there as she tried to email last night to tell me Madeleine would be receiving an award. But the email bounced back and I didn't get it. I was so grateful that Justin found his note and I could be there for both of them, I would have been very sad to have missed it.  When they announced Justin's name and he came up to receive his award they read this:

Out of the blue a grade 5 teacher grabs the microphone and says he has to share 
a story about Justin Baker.  In essence his words,"Last week I was on 
recess duty. It was a cold, very nippy day. I was standing there when
I feel a tug on my coat and I look around to see this young man.
He tells me that his friend has fallen on the playground and he is worried
about him. We go to where he had left him and he is gone. 
Justin turns to me and says, 'I will continue to look for him and make
sure he is ok.' I thought sure he'll look for a few minutes.
Every so often I would look and see Justin still looking for his friend. 
He would come from time to time to update me.
He said he would keep looking, he was worried.  I could not believe it.
At the end of recess Justin found his friend and came and told me he was ok. 
Here is an example of just one of the wonderful acts of kindness we see.
If I ever get lost I want Justin Baker looking for me. 
He won't give up!
I have never seen them single out one of the children and share a story about them. It was pretty special and all of the other parents were smiling and saying how sweet he was. I was pretty proud of him. He is a compassionate guy and a good friend. If I hadn't been there I never would have known. This is the teacher telling the story with Justin by his side.
Madeleine received her award shortly after:

This is a picture with all of the children that were recognized at the assembly.    


   The rest of the day went well.  We had a fun time with Bronwyn and Annika at the YMCA. The dentist was uneventful for the older one's, no cavities. Austin's second trip didn't go as smoothly as we had hoped. After 20min or so of trying to reason with him he finally opened his mouth and she was able to clean his teeth, though midway through he began to cry.  Nothing else was done for him.
   Soccer is Tuesday for Austin. Because Austin tends to have quite a few ups and downs emotionally, when in a group setting, I wasn't sure I wanted to load up everyone if he wasn't going to play when we got there. Eric on call so it would be a lot easier not to go.  Austin is always very excited to play but then gets shy and grumpy when we get there and it can be a lot of work to get him out of this mood. We talked about how to have a good attitude and how smiling helps. When we arrived he smiled!!!! He went with his team and played happily the WHOLE TIME! He scored 5 goals and was laughing and talking with the other kids, for the first time.  I was very proud of him, he conquered his feelings!  The other kids did very well also!  It was a good day.

No comments: