Eric was on call (away) for almost three days which left me with lots of time to prove myself worthy of the stay -at-home title I so proudly bare. Each day brought with it an unexpected challenge(s). I find that when time is involved and a crisis happen I am not as patient as I wish I could be.
Day #1 We had our first snowfall. Roads were slippery and we do not have our snow tires on yet. It is my week to carpool so I needed to leave extra time. It was also Austin's soccer night (across town). I had not been feeling well so I asked Austin if we could skip Soccer. He was clear in his disappointment and his desire to go. So, I needed to get dinner done and on the table by 4:45, at the latest, so we could be out the door by 5:10 to make it to soccer. We arrived home from school at 4pm and I got dinner on the table by the appointed time and was feeling quite good that I wasn't going to disappoint Austin. At 5:10 I asked the bundled Austin and Madeleine to head out to the car while I changed Livi and finished up dinner. Within 5 minutes I could hear screaming and crying. Austin emerged from the garage with snow on his hat, face, neck and down his coat. Instead of getting in the car they had a snowball fight and Madeleine unintentionally got him in the head. Well, when Austin is worked up it takes TIME to calm him, time we did not have. I tried to patiently remove and replace his clothes and get him into the van. I still needed to get Livi. We piled in at 5:22, we'd be late but could make it. A few minutes into the drive I realized Austin was wearing boots and his soccer shoes were back home. I turned around went home and got the shoes, time 5:33 soccer already started but we can still make it. We have to, I have done everything I can to make it possible. Arrive at soccer with 10 minutes left. We get to the field and Austin says, "Go home." And begins to cry. I try to coax him onto the field and he cries harder. At this point I break. I am frustrated and do not understand, he only has 10 minutes, we made it and he can play for a little bit, what is wrong. He says he has to go pee, I leave the three others and go to bathroom only to find a sign that says CLOSED use the upstairs, around the corner bathroom. We make it up to find that the lights don't work in the upstairs bathroom. I am beyond rational thought and just want to erase the evening in my mind. We finally end up together in a Men's bathroom, finish there and grab our stuff and go home. It would have been so much easier to have stayed in on a cold and slippery night, not to have rushed dinner and yet I was trying to do something good and it fell apart. I fell apart. Did playing soccer really matter? No, Austin's feelings should have been more important at that moment in time.
Second day of Eric's absence. The morning had passed uneventfully and I was encouraged by some good cleaning, playing and cooking that had been done. As I turned to get the bread out of the oven I hear a crash and screaming. I find Olivia pinned by a stool with one of the rungs in her mouth. Blood is coming from her mouth. After10 minutes or so of trying to stop the blood I get a look at her teeth. Two of her front teeth have been repositioned, back. I am devastated and wonder at this point if there is anything that can be done, blood resumes. I call the dentist and he says he will take a look and see if he can push them forward and give an assessment. He asks if I can make it in after I pick up the kids at 3:30. The kids usually take 10min. or so to get out but after 20 minutes there was no sign of Justin and Rawley. Olivia is crying and bleeding and I am supposed to get the other kids dropped off for their judo lessons. I see Justin, finally, carrying one boot and looking around as if he'd lost something. I wonder, "Why is he holding a boot. He should be wearing his boots. What is he wearing? Where is the other one? I don't have time for this, we are late, I have to get Livi to the dentist. What is he doing." Not calm and collected.
I run out, in my tennis shoes, into a foot of snow. Justin says he's lost his boot and doesn't know where. We start canvasing the playground and field to no avail. He was wearing his indoor shoes and had thought to carry his boots home, why we'll never know. When it snows we wear BOOTS!
I am not patient and we finally leave empty-handed. Drop kids off and head to dentist, still bleeding. He says there is a good chance she won't lose her teeth but we won't know for a week or so. I feel so bad and wish I could have rewound time and saved her from this accident. I was right next to her. We leave the office with hope that they won't rot and that her tongue, with its natural thrusting motion forward will over time move the two teeth forward again. We hope. Poor little girl. We return to the school and I run in to check if his boot is there. FOUND IT! At least there was one victory.
I am tired and go to bed.
2 comments:
OH NO! Poor Olivia. Poor Leslie. Eric needs to work closer to home, or you need to move closer to him. I hope you are feeling better after your surgery. I am sure Livi's teeth will be fine. Julia fell on her face at daycare and got a fat lip, luckily her teeth weren't effected.
Mike's been out of town all week too. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who feels lacking in patience with all the disasters that come up with him gone (and they do seem to plan on coming when he is gone). I'm so sorry about your little one's teeth though! I remember my oldest just putting a big chip in his front tooth when he was one and I was so sad thinking, "There will be no knew teeth for like SIX years!!" I hope hers will recover!
Post a Comment