Thursday, March 28, 2013

5th grade basketball

A couple of months ago Madeleine asked me if I would like to coach a 5th/6th grade girl's basketball team.  "Mr. Hill says that he only wants parents who won't yell and know something about basketball.  So I thought maybe you and Dad could do it."  Well, I am glad she doesn't think of us as yellers, that's a plus!
  I was really excited when she told us the details. Only 5 weeks long. Games on Wednesday nights and one practice a week. Very manageable.  I have only coached soccer and have wanted to be involved more in other sports. The same evening we arrived home from Hawaii was our first game. We had one hour to get in and get gone to the game.
  We met the girls briefly and the game began. The games are make up of 8 five minute "quarters".  They play 4 against 4.  Our team boasted 7 players, so with the shift changes there needed to be one girl that would "double."  We really didn't know our team or their strengths and weaknesses so we did not know who should be playing together etc. That first game was a tough loss.  But, we could tell immediately that they were a great group of girls.
  I brought the kids to the after school practices.  Luke would stay in the stroller being fed food and stayed quite content with all their was to see. Austin and Livi played around. Usually on the little bum scooters found in the gym closet. They had a blast.  The next 4 games we won!  We went into last nights tournament in first place!  Unfortunately some of our best players were really nervous last night and although we had recently beaten this team, we went out tentatively and got behind.  We came back by half time to within a couple points but then towards the end of the game lost it.  We weren't playing good defense and could not seem to get the ball in the basket.  I felt bad because they could play so much better and what a disappointment for them. There were a couple girls in particular that seemed quite down about it.  It wasn't so much that we lost as it was frustrating to not finish with your best playing...nerves will do that.
  Madeleine improved so much over the past few weeks. She has a very consistent and accurate shot. She is really catching on to the game. She has been playing basketball with friends and the family which is so great to see.
  I am so glad she asked us to coach. It was great to do it with Eric. I think we make a good team.

No comments: