Sunday, October 23, 2011

On My Own

  One would think after years of being on my own for days/weeks at a time that I would be a pro.  I probably should be....but sadly I must recognize that I still have much to improve upon.  Eric is gone hunting for a few days, this should not be a big deal, it is a much shorter trip than last month.  I have handled many longer periods of time over the past decade of med school and residency, but those were mandatory.....I think that is the difference.  This is a voluntary leave of absence.  Over the past two years hunting and fishing have become a real source of relaxation and a down time needed by Eric.  I am not too thrilled about the shooting/killing aspect of hunting (we'll save that for another entry) but more than that it is the time required to do either of these.  It is rare that these can be done in under a couple of hours. Often it is 5 plus hours up to 6 or 7 days. Because of this I find myself tense up when either are brought up.  On the one hand I want to be a supportive wife, on the other I want him home with us.
   I am really trying to encourage some hobbies that could be done locally and that have a nice and neat time frame I can rely upon.  Any ideas out there? He is now serving in the Young Men's program so Tuesday evenings are spent with them, another night is bball and then of course his on-call day(s) during the week. Ok, so there are not many nights left for new hobbies....hum.
   I completely understand he needs a break.  He is such a hard worker; not only with his job but here at home with all of the renovations.  It really is not so much that I want to get away too as it is the family time I would want more of.  I am hoping that when these busy reno months come to an end we will be able to relax more and enjoy our home and new community without always having a list of things that need to be done.  Then maybe the time we do have together will feel more fulfilling for all of us and these little outings won't be as big of a deal.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Good luck Leslie. I hope the time passes quickly. Too bad you don't live closer and you and the kids could come over whiel Eric was gone. I like to go wander the aisles at Target to just go out by myself. :) Guess a new hobbie would be more productive. I just signed up for some hot yoga classes - not sure how that will be, but I thought it would be fun to try something new! I enjoy reading all of your fun posts!